Our History

The organization of Dexter Baptist Church came about on the fourth Sunday in July of 1893, when elders of the community expressed a desire to have a place to worship the Lord. 
 
The first services were held in an old two-story school house that stood across from the Dexter City Hall.  The church called Rev. P. A. Jessup as her first pastor. 
 
Membership in the church grew from twenty-one to a much larger number, and the members began to feel that the church was not adequate for the present nor future needs of the community.  In 1937, the old towering steeple was lowered as membership in the church continued to grow, and new Sunday School rooms were added on to the church.  
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
By 1959, the members recognized that the church was not able to yet again meet the needs of the community, and decided to errect a new building.
 
A new church building was erected in 1960.  On April 17, 1960 the church was dedicated, and for the first time became a full-time church.
 
Today Dexter Baptist Church is a member of the Laurens Baptist Association and the Georgia and Southern Baptist Conventions.